Fun facts about the competition
- The Sanremo Cafe Racer is a machine-building for accuracy and to make coffee taste different. With the Cafe Racer, a barista can adjust temperature, pressure or pre-infusion. But in competition, the machine is running in a very basic setting.
- In competition, the barista has 15 minutes to make 12 drinks distributed in 3 courses. Well, making the drinks they have to present the coffee to the judges by rehearsing a scripted story. This competition requires barista skills, memory skills all combined in a theatrical act. The presentation is in front of 7 judges.
- The Western qualifiers are actually the 2nd Canadian qualifier. Baristas in Canada from coast to coast can take part. So this is not a Western Qualifier but a qualifier.
- Calgary has 7 competitors out of 16.
- In the competition, you can only use cow milk. Even vegan competitors can not use alternative milks. If they do the drink will not be judged and the competitor will lose the points. In the 2019 season, a competitor made the point that alternative milk can taste like cow milk. He presented to the end where he then disclosed the secretive ingredient!