Fun facts about the competition
- The Sanremo Cafe Racer is a machine-building for accuracy and to make coffee taste different. With the Cafe Racer, a barista can adjust temperature, pressure or pre-infusion. But in competition, the machine is running in a very basic setting.
- In competition, the barista has 15 minutes to make 12 drinks distributed in 3 courses. Well, making the drinks they have to present the coffee to the judges by rehearsing a scripted story. This competition requires barista skills, memory skills all combined in a theatrical act. The presentation is in front of 7 judges.
- The Western qualifiers are actually the 2nd Canadian qualifier. Baristas in Canada from coast to coast can take part. So this is not a Western Qualifier but a qualifier.
- Calgary has 7 competitors out of 16.
- In the competition, you can only use cow milk. Even vegan competitors can not use alternative milks. If they do the drink will not be judged and the competitor will lose the points. In the 2019 season, a competitor made the point that alternative milk can taste like cow milk. He presented to the end where he then disclosed the secretive ingredient!
Hear it from the Barista/Cafe Owner
The following video is from some of the top cafés in Toronto. We interviewed them to know “what we are doing right” and what made them want to own a Sanremo espresso machine.
Who are we?
We are Sanremo Canada, the factory direct distributor of Sanremo Coffee Machine s.p.a. (Italy) – the manufacture of big hit machines like the Opera and the Café Racer. The Sanremo machines are some of the best looking machine in the industry, built with cutting edge technology from baristas to baristas.
The “why” is our way to look at what we do from the inside out. Start from the heart… the soul. Where did this all started… from a dream and you can read all about it here
Because our machines mean design and not only of your café but of your dream to own a café. Hear what the people have to say….
Why we do it?
We want to develop and establish a positive relationship with our customers and suppliers. Developing coffee knowledge in our local community by helping our customers to know everything that there is to know about coffee, from choosing the right bean selection to knowing the right water pressure to get the perfect espresso.
What do we do ?
Consistent service and support that we have been providing since 2007. We are an industry leader. Supporting, servicing and selling the best equipments and parts, we are committed to keep providing an excellent service to become the first choice for purchasing and repairing coffee machines.
How is it done ?
Sharing our passion – we know that making great coffee is both an art and science, and that the ultimate drinking experience starts with proper brewing methods and top-quality machinery.
Giving knowledge – we can take you through the details of the espresso making processes, adjust your equipment, and help you choose the best machine to suit your needs.
Inspiring – Our team has the in-depth knowledge to give our customers everything they need to make the best espresso drinks possible and inspire memorable conversations.
The 2017 Canadian Barista Championship will be taking place at the Ritchie Market in Edmonton, AB from Saturday, October 14th to Sunday, October 15th!
Come cheer on some of Canada’s finest baristas as they vie for the opportunity to represent Canada at the World Barista Championships in Seoul, South Korea this November!
If you are interested in volunteering for this event please visit: https://www.canadiancoffeeguild.com/
Good luck to all the competitors, see you in Edmonton!
The East Coast Coffee Madness is a one-day event, built for the coffee community around the vision ‘Meet + Learn + Grow’.
Their mission: gather the growing coffee community in Montreal, around workshops, speakers, and a coffee competition, in a simple and casual format. The third edition of the ECCM will be held in Montreal on October 22, 2017, at Société des arts technologiques [SAT].
It will be an opportunity for members of the coffee community to come together and learn, discover new products, build friendly and business connections around workshops and speakers.
This unique and original event will attract coffee amateurs, baristas, roasters, suppliers, and enthusiasts from the Canadian East Coast and North East U.S.
Click on the link below for more information and don’t miss this event or click here to get tickets.