https://sanremocanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/unnamed-2-e1577818777376.png 416 590 Eugenio Adiletta https://sanremocanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/LogoWhite-2-San-Remo-Canada-Coffee-espresso-Machine-Equipment-genius-commerical-opera-cafe-racer-verona-high-end-distribution-barista-ergonomic-technology-excellence-italian-authentic-263x300.png Eugenio Adiletta2019-12-30 16:41:132019-12-31 13:55:24Barista Championship Western Qualifiers
We are preparing for the competition in Calgary on the 17th to 19th of January 2020 with the help of our co-sponsors Water for Coffee (@waterforcoffee), Mahlkonig USA (@mahlkonigusa) and Genius Coffee N’ Espresso Equipment (@geniuscoffee). Also, a great host sponsor, Eightounce (@eightouncecoffee) is preparing everything for all of us to have an amazing experience.
Come and see some of Canada’s finest baristas and find out who will qualify for the National Championships in March.
All competitors will be performing on the Sanremo Cafe Racer, an industry leader in quality, style, innovation, and technology.
We hope to have you join us at this amazing event to see some of the country’s best baristas compete on the best espresso machine!
Fun facts about the competition
- The Sanremo Cafe Racer is a machine-building for accuracy and to make coffee taste different. With the Cafe Racer, a barista can adjust temperature, pressure or pre-infusion. But in competition, the machine is running in a very basic setting.
- In competition, the barista has 15 minutes to make 12 drinks distributed in 3 courses. Well, making the drinks they have to present the coffee to the judges by rehearsing a scripted story. This competition requires barista skills, memory skills all combined in a theatrical act. The presentation is in front of 7 judges.
- The Western qualifiers are actually the 2nd Canadian qualifier. Baristas in Canada from coast to coast can take part. So this is not a Western Qualifier but a qualifier.
- Calgary has 7 competitors out of 16.
- In the competition, you can only use cow milk. Even vegan competitors can not use alternative milks. If they do the drink will not be judged and the competitor will lose the points. In the 2019 season, a competitor made the point that alternative milk can taste like cow milk. He presented to the end where he then disclosed the secretive ingredient!